Thursday, January 24, 2008

John McCain and America's Christian "Origins"


In a recent Republican debate, Senator John McCain was asked if he agreed with a recent poll which stated that 55% of Americans believe the U.S. Constitution establishes a Christian nation. McCain responded by stating, "I would probably have to say yes, that the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation." McCain went on to say the following:

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles … personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith, but that doesn’t mean that I’m sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president."

In response, the Jewish Defense League chided McCain's remarks, reminding him of the religious freedoms protected in the Constitution. The Muslim American Society also responded with harsh criticisms for the Arizona Senator, stating that such a reckless statement is not only hurtful, but also found nowhere in the U.S. Constitution. McCain was reminded of Article 6, Section 3 of the Constitution, which states that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

In the past, McCain has stated that his favorite Founding Father was John Adams. Perhaps he should revisit some of the comments Adams had in regards to the founding of this nation. After all, it was Adams that stated, “The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."

To read the entire article that criticizes McCain for his statements click here.

6 comments:

Lindsey Shuman said...

So I realize that this isn't all that big of a deal. I mean, when we honestly think about it, who cares if our future president believes this nation to be founded on Christianity or not. There are bigger issues to worry about.

I just think it shows how little John McCain knows about this country's origins, which would put him smack dab in the middle of the American majority. What a sad reality.

Brian Tubbs said...

I agree with Lindsey's second point. I remember when McCain said this, and I cringed. Either McCain is himself ignorant or he's catering to the ignorance of the majority. It's a sad commentary on American politics today.

I do think it should be a requirement for all of our elected officials and candidates to read the US Constitution. For that matter, all of our voters should a well.

Brad Hart said...

Amen Brian! I second your requirement that all politicians and voters should be required to read the Constitution.

It is hard to say is McCain is ignorant of the history surrounding this nation or not. I tend to believe (even though I have no proof) that he is simpy "catering to the ignorance of the majority" as Brian put it. If he is, shame on him. I get so mad at Americans who claim to be patriotic zealots, but then can't tell you a damn thing about this nation's founding or history. Most Americans can't recall the year that the Constitution was established (sorry ignorant American majority, it was NOT 1776).

Brad Hart said...

Well, we had YET ANOTHER debate last night, and the same sentiments were expressed by the candidates. I guess they don't read our blog! =)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Repubs don't get it, but hey, niether do the Dems. We need another FDR or Truman!

Steve-O said...

Speaking of McCain, it looks like he's the guy for the GOP!